We want to thank everybody who has been thinking about Freedom Global Outreach and praying for us and the people that we serve during this time. We are humbled by the incredible response of people to our children, our staff and to the country of Haiti.
- Caring for the immediate needs of those that we serve (kids, families, communities).
- Preparing for future natural disasters and emergencies with lessons learned from this one.
- Partnering with grassroots organizations that are helping vulnerable children in the areas hit hardest by the storm.
With those three things in mind, after meeting with the Haitian community leaders that we regularly work with, we have decided on using Hurricane Relief funds in the following areas (in no particular order):
- Hiring local labor and buying local products to fix the water/wind damage at our children’s homes and pediatric clinic.
- Preparing for future emergencies by outfitting our children’s homes and clinic with backup power sources and solar powered lanterns, flashlights, etc.
- Stocking the pediatric clinic with medications needed for the expected surge in incidents of waterborne illnesses like cholera and mosquito borne ones like malaria.
- Working with local community leaders to help care for the immediate needs of families displaced such as food, potable water, temporary shelter and medical care.
- Funneling resources to partner ministries that are working with children in areas hit hardest by the hurricane, such as Les Cayes.
We will report back to all donors how relief funds were used.
Since the storm hit, and even before, FGO has been working to help vulnerable children. On the eve of the storm our staff took in 19 children and 2 adults from ENEPHA, a local orphanage that sits in a low-lying flood zone. For three days they housed them through the hurricane. Since the storm ended, after meting with local leaders, FGO staff have helped with food distribution to displaced families and planning for the response needed in the community.
We will continue to work with grassroots organizations and local leaders to meet the needs of those communities we serve, prepare for future disasters and work with those helping vulnerable children in the most devastated areas.
Thanks to all who have donated and all who will donate. We are honored to be an extension of your love and generosity to the children and families of Haiti.
Tax deductible donations can be made at:
fgo.webconnex.com/contribute and select “Hurricane Matthew Relief” from the dropdown menu.
You can also purchase a few items on Amazon that we need here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2S5RTI017ADJ0/ref=cm_sw_su_w